Good Morning folks. Just a quick reminder there will be no Giants Coffee until August 29th because I am taking my talents to South Beach for a little rest and relaxation. But as always I will be tweeting all Giants and NFL news on my twitter page http://twitter.com/erobertsny , so if you miss me I would go ahead and follow me on there. Here’s your news and tidbits for this rainy day:
– There was a huge backlash with Eli Manning saying he is a Top 5-10 quarterback and right up there with the Tom Brady. Obviously, the New York media is starving for a story because what else would you expect the man to say. “Nope, I see myself more in the class of Charlie Whitehurst and Rex Grossman.” Come on now people. And now for my own little rant, Michael Kay should not host a radio show — he is awful. The combination of him and Don La Greca (even though he is a Giants fan) make for the worst, most uninformed, and biased sports talk in New York. Kay talks more about his wife Jodie Applegate then he does sports. We get it Kay, she’s hot and your far from it, but enough already.
– Allegations regarding the University of Miami and booster Nevin Shapiro emerged in the afternoon yesterday during Giants practice. Antrell Rolle and Kenny Phillips were both member of UM, and Rolle specifically was targeted by the media. He neither confirmed nor denied the allegations, but did say that Shapiro was just angry and bitter towards the University, and doing anything he could to bring it down.
– Travis Beckum got reamed out by Kevin Gilbride during practice, and at one point was just told to stand on the sidelines. Not a good day for a man who is fighting for a starting job. Bear Pascoe looks to be the front runner for the starting tight end position.
– WFAN and Mike Francesa (another one who I could rant about all day), had a couple Giants on the air yesterday. Recaps of the interviews are down below by my fellow staff members at gmenhq.com
– Kevin Boss and the Giants supposedly had a verbal agreement, but Al Davis swooped in with an offer that could not be refused. It was also confirmed that Smith was indeed offered a contract that would make him one of the highest paid WR’s in the game prior to his injury.
– Justin Tuck has been bothered by a sore achilles, but do not go into a state of panic. It does not appear to be very serious.
Like I said above I will be in Florida for the next week, so for an update on news, notes, and analysis follow me on Twitter: