Finally, preseason is among us. There are obviously fans out there that just like to watch the first few drives and maybe the first half, seeing all the starters and 2nd stringers. To me preseason games must be watched in their entirety. You not only get to see Eli and the gang, but you get to see the future, the ones who come in when players go down, the ones who complete Big Blue.
If you’re counting plays, Coughlin has said that the starters are only going to be in for 10-15. Obviously this may vary depending on position.
Now obviously you may not want to sit and watch all of the Steelers game on a Saturday night, but if you get hooked, here are a few things to look for:
A bit better than the 12 players that were out first preseason game last year. G Chris Snee (hip), CB Terrell Thomas (knee) and RT Justin Pugh (concussion), Brewer (concussion), Torian likely out (concussion), Cooper Taylor (hamstring). At this time, Tuck and Nicks are uncertain. Tuck was out Wednesday and Thursday with back stiffness and Nicks has been dinged up all camp.
1. Brandon Mosley getting the start:
- Mosley is starting at RG in place of Brewer, who was in place of Snee. Mosley is really a tackle but was getting first team reps this week at RG. Look to see how he holds up against starting D-Linemen.
2. Wide Receivers
- With Nicks most likely sitting, and the Giants already knowing what they have in Cruz, the spotlight is on Rueben Randle. Randle has lit it up in camp so far making it interesting to see how many plays he is in for as the projected 3rd wideout. Louis Murphy should be fun to watch, the speed is there, is the route running? Ramses Barden is on his last life as a Giant. Still waiting to see anything from Jernigan. Players like Julian Talley, Keith Carlos, and Brandon Collins will all get opportunities to shine.
3. Tight End
- Want to see how the rapport between Myers and Eli is, would also like to see Adrien Robinson with Eli in a game situation, see how the does.
4. Running back
- Who is getting first snap? How many snaps do both Wilson and Brown get? May depend on the defense present. Keep an eye out for Michael Cox, 7th round pick out of UMass, good size, good speed, great hands, has the ability to be a difference maker. Da’Rel Scott, probably another Giant on his last life.
- We’ve seen Carr for years now. Nassib, outdoors, NFL competition.
- With Hynoski out after surgery on his torn MCL, Giants lost out on Leach. They brought in Ryan D’Imperio. Drafted in 2010 by the Vikings, D’Imperio has bounced around a little. Interested to see how many snaps he plays and if he starts over Pascoe