Well, that was fun. NOT. Game 3 of preseason and ya just gotta see some progress.
Stating the obvious to any fan or human being with an ounce of realism: there was really nothing offensively that looked like it would be ready for regular season in under 2 weeks. And while there are many Giants fans who continue to say, “We’re fine, it’s only preseason”, or “Don’t say anything negative about my Giants”, allow me to tell you this: by ignoring reality, we can’t fix our issues (in football or anywhere in life). So as I sit here and shake my head, I’ll just share a few thoughts I have coming out of tonight’s game against the pitiful Jets (who won the game):
- Make no mistakes – nobody won in this game. If there ever were a game where 2 teams deserved to lose, this was it.
- Our QBs didn’t look any better than Smith and Sanchez tonight.
- Our offensive units seemed to be playing from different playbooks.
- Cordle? Sorry, but I was rooting for Shaun O’Hara to put on some pads.
- Highlights: We saw Steve Weatherford about 80 times.
- Lowlights: We saw Steve Weatherford about 80 times.
- Perhaps when they heard ‘Snoopy Bowl’, they heard ‘Sloppy Bowl’ instead.
- The running backs were back to ineffective tonight on all but one play.
- The running backs apparently can do some running during returns (but one or two good plays do not a game make).
- I have changed my mind on which linebackers are staying, and which are on the verge of being cut. I had high hopes for someone, but I’ve seen nothing of note. I believe there are 7 spots.
- Trattou and Tracy were in the game more (Tracy for some plays with 1st team), than Ojomo tonight.
- Jernigan’s 9 Giants lives have got to be over already. Can’t count on any consistency.
- Am I missing something or have I not seen anything of note from Adrian Robinson? Aside from good old Bear Pascoe, our Tights Ends are far from lighting me up.
- That unsportsmanlike conduct penalty on Matt Simms (who should be the starting Jets QB next week) was ludicrous.
- Discipline is lacking. The 4 contiguous defensive penalties in the first quarter were also… ludicrous.
- It was wonderful to see Terrell Thomas back on the field, tackling, pumped, and right in it. 20 snaps I believe. I hope he can continue in a positive direction.
- On Special Teams, the one person I see right in the thick of EVERY play? Zak DeOssie, Long Snapper.
- A couple bubble guys who stood out: Patterson, Austin, Bosworth, McBride.
- I wish we could keep more guys on the Defensive Line.
- I wish there were a magic pill for the Offensive Line.
- If I could hypnotize the Giants Offensive Line, I would snap my fingers and tell them to act like a steel wall.
- I like this kid Charles James. He’s got a little fire.
- Unfortunately, still no Cooper Taylor.
- Turns out the Meadowlands Blood Drive took place (a few too many times) today.
More soon. I need to recuperate overnight. First cuts are Monday by 4pm EST. Good times ahead for Coach Coughlin.
Topics: New York Giants