By now, you have probably already seen JT’s Giants 53-man roster projection, but I figured that I would throw my hat in the ring when it comes to prognosticating how the Giants final roster will look heading into their week one showdown against the Dallas Cowboys.
QB (3) – Eli Manning, David Carr, Ryan Nassib - Giants GM, Jerry Reese, traded up to snag Ryan Nassib in the fourth round which pretty much guarantees him a roster spot even though he has looked terrible. Although I think Curtis Painter has looked slightly better than David Carr, I believe the Giants will keep Carr because of his familiarity with Eli and the offense.
- RB (3) – David Wilson, Andre Brown, Michael Cox – Ryan Torain has looked good in limited duty, but I don’t see the Giants keeping four runningbacks, especially if they keep three quarterbacks. Da’Rel Scott’s days in big blue are coming to an end as seventh rounder, Michael Cox, has been impressive.
- FB (1) – Henry Hynoski
- WR (5) – Victor Cruz, Hakeem Nicks, Rueben Randle, Louis Murphy, Ramses Barden (Julian Talley and/or Kevin Hardy to practice squad) - Jerrel Jernigan has once again looked lost on the field, and I think his time in New York is up. Barden barely makes the cut and Murphy makes it despite being banged up of late. This is one position that could go a number of different ways.
- TE (4) – Brandon Myers, Bear Pascoe, Adrien Robinson, Larry Donnell – Since I have the Giants only keeping five receivers, it gives them room to keep an extra tight end. Pascoe’s ability to also play fullback is very important, especially with Hynoski coming back from an injury. Donnell has been impressive and showed a lot of heart coming back very quickly from a knee injury suffered during a practice session.
OL (9) – Will Beatty, Kevin Boothe, David Baas, Chris Snee, Justin Pugh, David Diehl, James Brewer, Jim Cordle, Brandon Mosley (Matt McCants and/or Eric Herman to the practice squad) – Even though David Diehl and Jim Cordle are horrible, the Giants will keep them both. I am really hoping Reese can find a hidden gem or two on the waiver wire because this group doesn’t instill much confidence in me.
- DT (5) – Linval Joseph, Cullen Jenkins, Johnathan Hankins, Shaun Rogers, Mike Patterson (Markus Kuhn to IR or the practice squad) – This group is absolutely loaded with talent, and despite playing better the last couple of games, Marvin Austin doesn’t make the cut. I have a feeling Austin will be a waiver target for a number of other teams.
- DE (5) – Justin Tuck, Jason Pierre-Paul, Damontre Moore, Mathias Kiwanuka, Adrian Tracy (Matt Broha and/or Justin Trattou to the practice squad) – Another absolutely STACKED group for the GMEN. This might be the toughest cuts to make, but players like Adewale Ojomo should get a long look from a lot of other teams. If the Giants feel as if Moore’s injury is going to bother him all year, they could try to free up a spot here by putting him on the IR.
LB (6) – Keith Rivers, Dan Connor, Spencer Paysinger, Kyle Bosworth, Mark Herzlich, Jacquian Williams – The Giants have six linebackers left on their roster and I believe all six will make the team.
CB (6) – Corey Webster, Prince Amukamara, Aaron Ross, Jayron Hosley, Terrell Thomas, Charles James (Terrence Frederick to the practice squad) – Undrafted free agent rookie, Charlie James, had a tremendous training camp and makes the team over veteran Trumaine McBride. Terrell Thomas also makes the team after coming back from two straight ACL injuries.
- S (3) – Antrel Rolle, Ryan Mundy, Tyler Sash (Cooper Taylor to IR or practice squad) – Will Hill is suspended for the first four games of the season and will take somebody’s roster spot when he returns, but for now he doesn’t take up room.
- Special Teams (3) – (PK) Josh Brown, (P) Steve Weatherford, (LS) Zak DeOssie
Boy, let me tell you, I do not envy the Giants front office and coaching staff’s job to trim down the roster to a final 53 by Saturday 6:00 PM EST. There are a ton of tough choices, especially on the defensive side of the ball. One thing is for sure, though, the Giants will be letting loose a couple of guys who will be getting calls from other teams.
Don’t agree with me? Let me hear your 53-man roster projections in the comments below!
If you want more updates and analysis from me then don’t forget to follow@bigbluebloggers on Twitter!