Today, ESPN released their first 2013 regular season ‘NFL Power Rankings’. The GMEN opened up in the twelfth spot, which I believe is a very reasonable place for them.
The Giants are a team with some flaws, notably the offensive line, but they are always in contention as long as Eli Manning at the helm. If the defensive line can stay healthy, I think the defense overall will be much improved. Sitting at #12 the Giants are right on the edge of a playoff berth, which is where I think they will be by seasons end. I don’t think they are a great team, but they are solid enough to have a legitimate shot at a playoff spot, and once they get there, we all know that anything can happen.
Rankings for the rest of the NFC East:
10. Washington Redskins - It’s not a surprise that ESPN would overrate the Redskins and their star RG3. I think their offense can be very good if, and this is a BIG IF, RG3 is able to stay healthy all year. Lastly, they have a very difficult road schedule (@Green Bay, @Denver, @Minnesota, @Atlanta plus the NFC East games), and I think they will end up having a hard time getting to ten wins.
18. Cowboys – ESPN is notorious for crowning the Cowboys in the pre-season, so I am pretty shocked to see them all the way at 18. I actually think they might have a good year and they will be a very tough match-up week one for the Giants.
25. Eagles – It seems like the NFC East is being a little undervalued by the voters. I, like a lot of people, am intrigued to see what Chip Kelly’s offense will be like. With that being said, their defense will most likely be terrible. Still, I think they will end up being better than this ranking reflects.
One too high:
2. Atlanta Falcons - I am not even sure they are the best team in their division, let alone the second best team in the league. Their offense has a lot of explosive players, but their defense will hold them back.
One too low:
13. New Orleans Saints – There is no denying that their defense is very suspect, but I have a feeling that Drew Brees and Sean Payton will be out for revenge on the NFL this season.
Overall, I think that ESPN’s power rankings for week one were pretty fair and well done. The Giants spot is right where they should be at this point.
Do you agree with the Giants ranking? Don’t agree with me that ESPN is undervaluing the NFC East? Well, let me hear it in the comments below!
If you want more updates and analysis from me, then don’t forget to follow @bigbluebloggers on Twitter!