Jerry Reese has been under a bit of fire this year for his picks that have not panned out, and for his history of picking projects. Over the next two weeks we will re-visit every draft from 2007 to the present and comment on who was also available at the time of the picks as well as how each player has panned out.
Starting with easily the most successful, short term, draft in recent memory. 2007 was the gold standard and achieving that position in your first year as GM is certainly a double edged sword. All 8 of the Giants picks that year not only made the team, but played significant time on their way to winning a Super Bowl.
1. Aaron Ross: Aaron was a highly touted corner out of Texas (DBU as the players call it) and lived up to all expectations before injuring his hamstring in a training camp race. Aaron was picked #20 overall and of course was placed on IR this year after returning from Jacksonville. Just as a side note here Jon Beason was picked #25 in this draft.
2. Steve Smith: The other Steve Smith from USC who had big catch after big catch that year and the next before getting injured and disappearing from the NFL landscape soon after.
3. Jay Alford: One sack in the Super Bowl of Tom Brady in the final minute of the game made Jay a success in Giants fans eyes.
4. Zac DeOssie: One of the best legacy picks ever. Still on the team and contributing every week.
5. Kevin Boss: The replacement for Jeremy Shockey, and a successful one until free agency and injuries ended his promising career in New York.
6. Adam Koets: Adam lasted until 2011 until he was deemed physically unable to perform. He is still listed as a free agent by the NFL.
7. Michael Johnson: Michael played Safety in 2007 and 2008 and remained on the team until 2010. Best known for recovering R. W. McQuarters fumble in Green Bay in the NFC Championship game.
8. Ahmad Bradshaw: Big contributor to get the Giants to the playoffs that year, and in winning the second Championship as well.
All solid contributors. All lasted a decent amount of time until injuries robbed them of their abilities. Two are still with the team. 8 players picked, 8 players played, and a Championship won. It doesn’t get any better…..2008 up next.