New York Giants Football!
Welcome back to football season, Giants Nation.
OTA’s, minicamp and training camp are all exciting times because they remind us of what lies ahead, but when preseason kicks in… we officially start to separate the men from the boys. Tonight begins phase one of ultimate preparation for the regular season: devising a game plan, establishing a firm depth chart and assembling a 53-man roster.
Opening on the Hall of Fame Game stage is relatively foreign to the Giants, who haven’t taken the field at Fawcett Stadium since 2002. Tonight is special, as the Giants and Bills are the standalone game in Football Town USA.
Stay tuned here for live updates throughout the evening. Disclaimer: this post will feature general notes, insights and assessments, NOT play by play or drive summaries.
Enjoy the game!
Inactives: DE Robert Ayers, LB Jon Beason, LT William Beatty, WR Odell Beckham Jr., TE Xavier Grimble, G Eric Herman WR/KR Trindon Holliday, CB Bennett Jackson, CB Trumaine McBride, DT Mike Patterson, LB Spencer Paysinger, and RB David Wilson
And so Giants football begins…
- Larry Donnell blows the formation on the first play from scrimmage.
- As @TKaz21 predicted, Bills take an early vertical shot with Sammy Watkins. The Prince is up for the challenge.
- Jennings supremely active as a receiving option early. Takes the screen pass 9 yards on 1st and 10.
- Well that was all too familiar. Pugh gets abused at RT, whole line caves in, Eli fumbles.
- Amukamara whiffs on a 1 on 1 tackle on the outside. Don’t see that often.
– Giants offense getting up to the line quickly, but still snapping under 10 seconds consistently.
- O-line flexing its muscles against the second unit D. Andre Williams breaking off a long run over left tackle. G-Men on the doorstep.
– Touchdown straight up the gut for ‘Dre Williams. He owned that drive! Early statement from the rook to be sure. Giants lead 7-3
- Prince was challenged frequently in that first quarter. Blanket coverage on all deep routes.
- Damontre Moore gets push towards the middle, but can’t sustain his move. This is where we expect the added strength to come into play.
- Enter Ryan Nassib in quarter two… will he play like a deer in headlights again this preseason? Show us something, Ryan.
- Two strikes from Nassib on the drive, one off a right-side rollout and one off abbreviated play action. Marcus Harris sighting as well! McManus cashes in the drive with a 47-yard FG. 10-10
- Charles Brown bullrushed to the ground, and it didn’t look particularly difficult.
- Charles James textbook tackle. Said that last year a few times whenever he found his way onto the field. Kid’s got the knack.
- Zack Bowman rebounds from an interference call to break up a quick slant, ball gets batted up in the air and intercepted by Cooper Taylor. Revenge defensive stand so to speak. HALFTIME 10-10
- Back to back strong run stuffing efforts from rookie Jay Bromley. Bills carved out long gains running on the perimeter earlier in the drive.
- Hideous underthrow by Thad Lewis results in a Zackary Bowman interception all alone in the endzone.
- I’ve been saying it all along: NASSIB DOESN’T SEE LINEBACKERS IN COVERAGE. Putrid interception at any level of competition. *Penalty on the play negates pick*
- Spencer Adkins plays with some spunk. Not allergic to tackling in space, pursues the ball carrier aggressively.
- WR Preston Parker back to return the kickoff. That’s interesting… of course there’s a touchback though. To echo the sentiment shared by @bigbluebloggers, evaluating kick returners is exceedingly tricky.
- Super Mario makes the 21-yard catch on a comeback route along the sideline. Welcome back to New York (at least temporarily).
- We haven’t heard Weston Richburg’s name called much tonight, and that’s always a positive. Rookie looks sharp up front.
- 6’5 DE Kendrick Adams quietly has four tackles. He’s throwing his body around recklessly.
- 4th round choice Nat Berhe gets down low on a hit and forces a fumble, which Buffalo recovers. Berhe’s got super long arms.
– Nassib still in to begin the fourth quarter. Kendall Gaskins still wildly indecisive running the ball.
- Camp sensation Corey Washington grabs a long pass from Nassib for a 73-yard score. Sharp single-move route off PA. Well thrown ball, gave Wash a chance to make a play. He did. Newberry in the house!
– UDFA Kerry Wynn from Richmond shows persistence getting after the quarterback, sacks Thad Lewis.
- OG John Sullen… that wasn’t good. Gets tossed into the backfield, Michael Cox loses 5 yards.
- Cox chews up 16 yards on his next three carries, followed by a one-handed snatch on an errant screen pass. FIRST DOWN
- Adkins reads the eyes of Thad Lewis, nearly comes up with a diving pick over the middle. The afterthought FA has played a nice opening game.
- Jordan Stanton speed rush/strip sack! Recovered by Buffalo on the bounce around… heck of a move around the edge by the James Madison product.
- Bills can’t convert on 4th and 24. Giants are going to win this one barring a Joe Pisarcik moment… Always nice to kick off the campaign with a W.