A lot can be said about Jameis Winston, who promises to be the most controversial pick of the 2015 NFL Draft. You can say that Winston has unmatched talent and an incredibly high ceiling. The problem is you can point to a litany of off the field issues for Winston. The problem is you could say that he lacks the polish that you’d expect from a number one overall selection, with his slow starts, frequent interceptions and questionable on the field decision making. A lot can be said about Winston, both good and bad, which makes him the most polarizing player in the draft class.
Winston has unbelievable physical ability. He has size and mobility that is comparable to the Pittsburgh Steelers Ben Roethlisberger. He has a rocket arm. There is a reason that Winston won every game, except for his last at Florida State; and there is a reason that he could be the Tampa Bay Buccaneers choice to start the draft.
More from NY Giants Draft
- 4 LBs the NY Giants should target in the draft after signing Bobby Okereke
- 7-Round NY Giants NFL Mock Draft after the NFL Combine
- 3 Players Giants Should Draft to Enhance 2023 NFC East Odds
- 7 under-the-radar NY Giants targets to watch at the NFL Combine
- NY Giants 7-round NFL Mock Draft: Big Blue trades up to ruin Baltimore’s plans
- Winston is a very big 6’4″ 234 lbs athlete. He is hard to bring down. He has ideal height
- Rocket arm. He throws one of the prettier deep bombs you’ll ever see
- Can zip the ball into tight windows
- Can make every throw, though his accuracy is inconsistent
- Good touch on passes
- Teammates love his personality
- Clutch gene
- Number of off the field problems: He was accused of sexually assaulting a fellow FSU student, though the case has been dismissed. He stole crab legs from a Publix grocery store and was suspended for the Clemson game this past season for yelling a vulgar phrase on FSU campus
- Winston does not make quick in game decisions. He had 18 interceptions this past season, many of which were because throws were late. He was sacked 17 times in 2014 and 27 times in 2013
- Difficulty reading defenses: throws into double coverage
- Too much confidence in his arm, throws himself into trouble
- Accuracy is inconsistent
- Streaky player, who infamously started off slow in 2014 games
Winston is an unbelievable talent. Some team, early in the first round will take a chance on him. The potential is there, but it would not be shocking to see him being a bust. Winston will either be amazing or horrible. His game is unpolished, he needs to go to the right situation to be a star. Nothing would surprise me with Winston, whether it be good or bad.