P.J. Williams is one of the most exciting draft prospects this year, and is my 3rd ranked cornerback on the board. Williams reminds me of Chris McAlister, who used to play for the Baltimore Ravens. Like McAlister, Williams is an aggressive cornerback who hits like a hammer and has great ball skills. It is hard not to love cornerbacks like Williams who takes pride in how physical he is.
GMENHQ Big Board Ranking: 21st Overall Prospect
More from NY Giants Draft
- 4 LBs the NY Giants should target in the draft after signing Bobby Okereke
- 7-Round NY Giants NFL Mock Draft after the NFL Combine
- 3 Players Giants Should Draft to Enhance 2023 NFC East Odds
- 7 under-the-radar NY Giants targets to watch at the NFL Combine
- NY Giants 7-round NFL Mock Draft: Big Blue trades up to ruin Baltimore’s plans
- Covers deep ball well
- Can play in the slot or outside
- Reliable in man coverage: He could become a shutdown cornerback
- Good size (6’1″ 196 lbs.)
- Good recovery speed
- Jumps routes and has good anticipation
- Great tackler for a defensive back, he will help in the run defense
- Good bump and run corner, he is physical
- Often he is too aggressive and will be penalized for it in the NFL
- Does not always turn his head at the right moment
- Much better in man coverage than in zone
Williams is a really good prospect because he has a high floor and a very high ceiling. The worst case scenario is that he is a nickel-back and a gunner on special teams. The best case scenario would see him become an elite, shut down cornerback. Williams is a safe pick because he can get on the field as a rookie and be productive. With good coaching and some on the job training, he could develop into a great player with a bright future.
I would say that the 9th overall selection would be a bit of a reach for Williams, just because I value Trae Waynes and Ifo-Ekpre Olomu slightly more. If Williams fell to the New York Giants in the second round however, it would be awfully hard for them to pass him up. Williams will most likely be selected within picks 20-26.