The best receiving prospect in the 2015 NFL Draft is without question, Amari Cooper. He is arguably the best receiver prospect ever from Alabama, which is saying something because Julio Jones was from there as well. Cooper is that good.
Alabama offensive coordinator Lane Kiffin, was famously caught prematurely celebrating twice on plays that resulted in a Cooper touchdown. Kiffin knew based on the coverage that Cooper had a guaranteed touchdown; Cooper was that good.
In three seasons at Alabama, Cooper amassed 228 receptions for 3,463 yards and 31 touchdowns. His productivity skyrocketed in the 2014 season. He caught 124 passes for 1,727 yards and an unbelievable 16 touchdown receptions. Yes, Cooper is that good.
More from NY Giants Draft
- 4 LBs the NY Giants should target in the draft after signing Bobby Okereke
- 7-Round NY Giants NFL Mock Draft after the NFL Combine
- 3 Players Giants Should Draft to Enhance 2023 NFC East Odds
- 7 under-the-radar NY Giants targets to watch at the NFL Combine
- NY Giants 7-round NFL Mock Draft: Big Blue trades up to ruin Baltimore’s plans
- Cooper has top tier speed
- Cooper is a disciplined route runner
- Cooper gets amazing YAC (yards after the catch)
- Cooper does not wait for the football. He goes up and snatches it at the highest point
- Cooper has the ability to change directions quickly
- Cooper has good size, long arms and incredible vertical ability that makes him a great red zone threat
- Cooper can make catches in traffic and specializes in the how-did-he-do-that catches
- Cooper will drop the occasional pass, which is usually the easy one right to him
Should The New York Giants Draft Him?
I would have a hard time seeing the New York Giants take Cooper with the 9th overall selection. The Giants have much more pressing needs. They need to fix the defense and help the offensive line. The lure to Cooper for the Giants would be that if he is available at pick 9, he may be the best player on the board. Victor Cruz, Odell Beckham and Cooper would be a pretty sick combination. It just does not make sense to go receiver when you have two stars at the position and have more pressing needs.