The New York Giants have a pressing need of finding a pass rusher; Nate Orchard could be a great one in the NFL. He certainly was great at Utah, where he recorded 18.5 sacks in his senior season. This finished him second in sacks in the FBS.
Orchard is certainly one of the most exciting prospects of the 2015 NFL Draft. He really showed why he could be a first round talent at the Reese’s Senior Bowl. He is a long and lean 6′ 4″ and 234 pounds. He is too quick for most offensive tackles and can win inside or outside. Orchard is not the strongest bull rusher but it is an underrated aspect of his attack.
Orchard has to show the NFL decision makers that he has the strength and power to be an every down and well-rounded player at the next level. Orchard uses his long body and his freakish quickness to get to the passer. He is not a consistent player against the run. He is not a bad tackler, his problems are fighting off and disengaging from blockers.
GMENHQ Big Board Ranking: 29th Overall Prospect
More from NY Giants Draft
- 4 LBs the NY Giants should target in the draft after signing Bobby Okereke
- 7-Round NY Giants NFL Mock Draft after the NFL Combine
- 3 Players Giants Should Draft to Enhance 2023 NFC East Odds
- 7 under-the-radar NY Giants targets to watch at the NFL Combine
- NY Giants 7-round NFL Mock Draft: Big Blue trades up to ruin Baltimore’s plans
- Long arms, tall frame
- Quick off the edge, quickness can get him inside of offensive tackles
- Athletically gifted
- Explosive burst off the ball
- Good hand fighter against offensive linemen
- Productive pass rusher
- Not a complete player: He struggles as a run defender and needs to add some power to his pass rushing repertoire
- Lean: Needs to add bulk
Overall, Orchard has a very high ceiling but there is a lot of room for growth with his game. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. He could be a first round pick, he certainly won’t drop to the third round. The problem Orchard has is that there are so many good pass rushers in this draft that have a more well rounded resume.