We have seen more NFL more head coaches lose their jobs, with the Arizona Cardinals parting ways with Kliff Kingsbury, while the Houston Texans also decided they won’t be bringing back Lovie Smith in 2023. Goodness. That news dropped late Sunday evening, but people were still in shock to begin the week.
Now, the Carolina Panthers, Houston Texans, Denver Broncos, Indianapolis Colts and Arizona Cardinals are all in need of new guys to lead their respective organizations. Could this be bad news for the NY Giants and head man Brian Daboll? Potentially, as it has been reported that both defensive coordinator Wink Martindale and offensive coordinator Mike Kafka could land interviews/interest.
Kafka didn’t have the best year running the Giants offense, but there’s no question he and Daboll helped save Daniel Jones’ career. Kafka is an exciting young assistant too, which could draw teams to him. As for Martindale, the veteran DC did an incredible job turning things around for Big Blue. He’s a name to keep a close eye on, no doubt.
More NY Giants news:
• According to Boomer Esiason, the Giants and Jones are getting ‘close’ to a new contract, which could be in the 3-4 year range. Jones is coming off the best regular season of his career, throwing for more than 3,000 yards and 15 touchdowns, while adding seven more scores on the ground. He powered the Giants to several upset wins, and fans are hoping another one will be on the way vs. the Minnesota Vikings.
• Will NY supporters see more of Kenny Golladay in the playoffs? In the 22-16 loss to the Philadelphia Eagles on Sunday, Golladay posted his first Giants touchdown, recording an unreal grab against cornerback Darius Slay.
Daboll was asked about Golladay earning more playing time on Sunday, and he said ‘we’ll see.’ Daboll has left the door open, but it’s up in the air if Golladay indeed will have more of a role with a trip to the Divisional Round on the line.
• The Giants 2023 opponents for the regular season have officially been set. It was announced that the G-Men will host the Cowboys, Eagles, Commanders, Rams, Seahawks, Patriots, Jets and Packers, while they’ll be the visitors for matchups against the Cowboys, Eagles, Commanders, Cardinals, 49ers, Bills, Dolphins, Raiders and Saints. The official ’23 schedule will be released in the spring.
• All eyes are on Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers. Following the Week 18 loss to the Detroit Lions, the NFC North powerhouse was officially eliminated from playoff contention.
As Rodgers walked off the field and gave a long look around Lambeau Field, it really felt like he was taking everything in one last time. Retirement rumors have already started and those won’t die down in the near future.
• In some inspiring news, Buffalo Bills safety Damar Hamlin has been released from the hospital and he’s back home. Last week, hearts dropped everywhere when Hamlin suffered cardiac arrest in the Monday Night Football matchup with the Cincinnati Bengals.
He has been showered with love on social media and countless fans are loving the progress he’s been able to make in a short period of time.