The New York Giants solved their bridge quarterback problem by signing veteran Russell Wilson to a one-year, $10.5 million contract. The move comes after the team signed Jameis Winston last week and retained Tommy DeVito earlier in the offseason.
The Wilson move got mixed reactions among Giants fans. Still, Big Blue fans should be more excited about this quarterback room heading into 2025, as it is a massive improvement from last season's Jones–Lock–DeVito–Boyle chaos carousel.
While Winston and DeVito provide depth and experience, the 10-time Pro Bowler is expected to be the team's starting quarterback next season, and signing him to this roster makes a lot of sense for the Giants.
The best part about Joe Schoen and the Giants' front office moves is that they may not be done at the quarterback position. The Giants still occupy the No. 3 overall pick in the NFL Draft, and they could continue to add to their QB room with Colorado's Shedeur Sanders.
Still, plenty of critics are calling out Schoen and the front office for their moves at the quarterback position this offseason and will likely still have something to say about what the Giants do at the NFL Draft next month.
Bleacher Report calls the Giants signing Russell Wilson a WTF move
Gary Davenport of Bleacher Report recently listed this offseason's most "WTF" moves. The article listed the Giants signing Wilson as one of the most mind-boggling moves of this year's free agency, and it was simply because of his age.
Davenport stated that Schoen and the Giants signing Wilson to a one-year deal isn't a bad idea. However, Wilson is 36 years old, and the signing comes just days after they signed Winston. The Giants were expected to sign at least one veteran, but not many had them signing two this offseason. Davenport also said Schoen might believe Sanders will be drafted No. 2 by the Cleveland Browns, and this could've been a panic move by New York—and how this doesn’t usually work in recent history.
The article seems more of an overreaction because even at 36 years old, Wilson has proven he can still succeed, and he showed it last season, leading the Pittsburgh Steelers back to the playoffs.
Yes, Wilson significantly struggled during his tenure with the Denver Broncos and is getting older. Still, he's one of the most experienced veteran quarterbacks left in the league, a Super Bowl champion—won at MetLife Stadium in 2014—and likely a future Hall of Famer because of his time with the Seattle Seahawks.
Wilson is here for one season on an affordable contract, and his role will be to help this team and mentor whichever rookie quarterback the Giants draft. Should Big Blue miss out on Sanders, he could still help develop players like Jaxson Dart or Jalen Milroe.
Wilson also stated that he wants to be here and is excited about the opportunity to throw to WR1 Malik Nabers, whom he spoke highly of during his introductory press conference.
Giants legend Eli Manning also gave his stamp of approval with this signing, leaving a video message for Wilson. Manning said in the message, "Hey Russell, just wanna congratulate you on coming to the New York Giants. You are coming to an unbelievable organization. [I'm] so excited that you are here. Can't wait to see what you are gonna be able to accomplish here. All the best, pal."
Eli's message to Russ 🗣️ pic.twitter.com/gOM5YzizS5
— New York Giants (@Giants) March 27, 2025
The video left Wilson with a big smile, and if that doesn't get Giants fans excited about this much-improved offense in 2025, then you're not seeing the potential of what Russ can accomplish under center in New York next season.
More New York Giants news and analysis
feed